Aggregates and recycling
At a glance
- Amount diverted from landfill per year
- 250,000-300,000 tonnes
- CO₂ absorbed per year
- ~15,000 tonnes
By recycling concrete, CO₂ is sequestered from the atmosphere after crushing due to the concrete’s exposure to the air. LEED credits can be earned both by recycling demo from a project and by creating new structures with recycled Green-Stone™ aggregates.
Recycled aggregate: The time is now
Lock-Block Ltd. annually processes over 300,000 tonnes of concrete rubble from construction sites into high-quality aggregates suitable for making fresh concrete. That’s thousands of tonnes diverted annually from landfill sites, and made into useable products that we sell under the Green-Stone™ brand.
Leaders in green technology
Lock Block Ltd. uses a state-of-the art crushing, screening, and washing process that maximizes the potential of waste concrete rubble gathered from construction sites. Recycling “waste” into high-quality product, our on-site state-of-the-art TRIO CT crushing, screening and washing operation breaks down concrete rubble and:
- Washes it three times to eliminate contaminants.
- Removes metals and other building materials (these can be recycled and used in other environmentally friendly products).
- Saves prep time and is emission-friendly.
The resulting aggregates:
- Meet all ASTM test standards for concrete aggregate and MMCD tests for road base and granular fill.
- Qualify projects for LEED® credits.
- Can be made into ready mix with a recycled content of up to 100% that can have equal to or better specifications than traditional concrete.
Winner of the prestigious 2012 ASTTBC TechGREEN Award for our work in recycling, Lock-Block Ltd. minimizes our environmental impact. Currently, the only material that leaves our site is a small amount of wood and debris filtered out of our closed loop aggregate washing operation and we aim to make the leftover material from this process into a usable product. Our mortar dust residuals are a perfect liming agent for growing grass.
Call (604)325-9161 for pricing and ordering. Spec sheets available on request.
Additional $0.50/tonne environmental fee on all aggregates. Prices subject to change without notice and to all applicable taxes. Testing data available upon request. $25 minimum charge + tax. While quantity lasts.